Do you ever want to expand your reading horizons? Do you ever feel guilty because you basically only read romance books or books filled with lots of murder? I’m hoping at least one of you can relate right now..
Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Bookstore is the perfect book if you’re trying to venture into different genres.
Let me begin by saying, if you follow me because we like the same type of books and you’re always in need of a binge worthy read, this is NOT the book for you. I did not love this book, but I am actually really grateful I read it. SO if you want to step out of your reading bubble, I am going to give you 5 reasons why Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Bookstore is the perfect book to do it with.
- It is a really unique genre. Goodreads is classifying it as fiction/mystery/fantasy. Just like Goodreads, I also cannot make up my mind as to what genre this is. It is essentially a book about books. The characters go on an adventure to try and crack the code as to why other characters are checking out obscure books in an old book store in San Francisco.
- It will make you feel smart. If you’re anything like me, you’ll have to reread a few pages to truly make sense of what’s going on when computer codes are being cracked and century old puzzles are being solved.
- You will get to hang out with the smart kids! I don’t just mean regular smart, I mean Ivy League/Works for Google/Making Millions smart! The characters in this book are very intelligent, seeing the inner workings of their lives was super fascinating.
- You get to pretend work for Google! I cannot attest if the author was writing true facts about working for Google or not, but the ways he describes it will make you want to apply to be a janitor at the very least to get in on the Google action.
- The cover to this book (at least the hardcover) glows in the dark. Are you even a reader if you don’t own at least one novel that glows in the dark?
I ended up giving Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Bookstore 3 stars on Goodreads. It truly wasn’t a bad book. If it had more romance, and more murder, it would have been an easy 5 stars. I can’t help it guys, the heart wants what it wants!
Have you read this one? Leave me a comment below and let me know your thoughts!
“Walking the stacks in a library, dragging your fingers across the spines — it’s hard not to feel the presence of sleeping spirits.”
“You know, I’m really starting to think the whole world is just a patchwork quilt of crazy little cults, all with their own secret spaces, their own records, their own rules.”
“Let me give you some advice: make friends with a millionaire when he’s a friendless sixth-grader.”
You MUST try this Honest Company Bubble Bath, the scent is a super mild orange and vanilla! It was a welcome change from my typical lavender bath.
I found the face mask at Target, and the lemon paired perfectly with already zesty scents from the bubble bath.
A refreshing lemonade is also a necessity when enjoying this citrusy soak.